Washing one’s hands are always one of the most important activities that workers have to do in the workplace. It does not matter whether they work in the office or in retail shops. What matters is that they will keep their hands clean all the time. Regular hand washing will reduce the chances that bacteria, germs, and viruses will transfer from one person to another.
How will you motivate your employees to always wash their hands? One of the things that you can do is to let them know about the different benefits they can get from frequent hand washing. Inform them of these following benefits:
- Reduce the chances of sickness from spreading from one person to another. People are more prone to getting sick when they are in an enclosed space like an office. When they know that their health and their productivity will become affected, they will probably want to wash their hands more often.
- Let them know that they need to use soap too because washing water is not enough. Antibacterial soap will have the power to get rid of 99% of germs.
- Provide some details about the different items that may also get contaminated when they do not wash their hands often. For example, when they do not wash their hands, they may spread the germs to their phones which they may use often.
Now that your employees are aware of the benefits, you need to find ways to motivate your workers so that they can wash their hands more often.
- Put up some signs all over the workplace that will let your employees know that washing hands will be important. Make sure that the signs are in plain view so that your employees will not miss the signs.
- Motivate your employees to turn this into a habit. You can put up the signs near the bathroom where the sink may be. You can also place one near the smoking area so that your employees will realize that they should wash their hands after they smoke. Smoking can have a very strong smell that can be removed with the right soap.
- Try to make washing hands become an official rule. When you make it optional, your employees will not wash their hands. Most employees will follow rules and if you tell them that they need to wash their hands, then they would do it more often.
- You can also think of some potential punishments for employees who do not want to wash their hands. The punishments do not have to be too harsh but they must be felt so that employees will be motivated to continue hand washing.
If you have a restaurant and you want your employees to wash their hands more often, you can have a separate washroom for them from the customers. It will allow them to have more space and time to wash their hands. It is also best if they would know how to properly wash their hands to ensure that germs and bacteria will be removed.